We love our volunteers! Want to find out how to get involved? Have questions? Please contact Deirdre Federico Snyder for at 610-740-5500 x322 or email her at email@example.com. Check out our current list of volunteer needs below - OR - select a link below to view a document in PDF.
Downloads for you:
- Volunteer Opportunities and Descriptions (PDF version)
- Make a Meal, Bring a Meal, Serve a Meal (PDF version)
- Volunteer Testimony and Photo Release Form (PDF version)
- Volunteer and Community Service Form (PDF Version)
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY LIST
- Long term commitment, 6 – 12 months
- Committed, dedicated and able to be part of our development team. We are seeking Volunteer Leads who can help us continue to develop and expand our Volunteer Program. Volunteer Leads will play a large role in helping organize special events and other fun outreach opportunities.
- 4 month commitment per event date
- Be involved in all aspects of our Fundraising events. Be a chairperson, help with phone calls, assist with auction items received, put together committees for event planning and execution. Post event Thank You notes and follow up, including be a part of our team by participating in “Lessons learned” meetings.
- Use our existing grant templates to submit grants online. Research appropriate grants available to match our needs and help gather data and put together statistics for submitting grants.
Computer Skills Needed – both project-specific and/or 3 to 6-month commitment
- Graphics and design, using Microsoft Publisher and/or Adobe
- EXCEL: Data entry and maintenance of information on excel spreadsheets
- Social Media, graphic design and website editing and design
Call Center – Volunteer from home!
- Want to volunteer but just can’t get out of your house? Become part of our new call center. Help us reach out to our donors on a regular basis by calling from the comfort of your home, to thank them and invite them to special events!
Make and Serve a Meal - call in or email to schedule
- If your group is looking for a way to serve the Mission, consider providing a meal. We need groups to prepare a meal for about 60 - 70 men, then to bring it in and serve it. Please schedule several weeks in advance.
Gardening a Gateway to the Soul
- For lovers of gardening who want to give back with their Green Thumb talents. We recruit volunteers to help maintain our Gateway Gardens and our vegetable gardens. Interested in adopting a garden for the season? Come to the Mission to help!
- Pastors & Leaders in Men’s Ministry provide a Christ-Centered message to our guests in the evening for an hour.
Front Office Coverage
- Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm. Volunteers can set their schedule, whether that be 2 – 3 mornings per week, 2 – 3 afternoons per week, or dedicate several full days per week. Administrative duties include assisting at the front desk with incoming donations, sorting & organizing mail, printing, photocopying, helping with mass mailings (stuffing envelopes and running then through the postage machine).
Special Events Volunteer Opportunities
Contact Deirdre to Sign Up now, it’s never too early!
WAEB Spaghetti Dinner
Saturday October 14, 2017
- Yearly on the third Saturday in October
- There are lots of positions available for helping at the Spaghetti Dinner. Helping with volunteer sign-in, bussing tables, serving food, making meatballs with Bobby Gunther Walsh and the Clean Team men, event preparation, helping with Chinese auction items.
Thanks for Giving Food and Supply Drive
Friday Nov 17th & Saturday Nov 18th 2017
- Yearly, the weekend before Thanksgiving on Friday from 4 – 7pm & Saturday, 10am – 3pm
- Adopt a location and help collect food and supplies! Interact with patrons and collect food while having fun during the community driven event! Be part of our team as a Dispatcher to communicate with drivers and Group Leaders. We also recruit drivers who circle between stores and back to the Mission picking up and dropping off the donated items. Warehouse workers to help empty vehicles, sort and weigh donations, and stock the pantry. Help with T4G Aftermath in the garage sorting, packing, weighing, relocating items and putting them away in the 2 weeks following the drive.
HOLD YOUR OWN DRIVE! Contact us to get a list of most needed items and hold your own drive.
Christmas Wrapping Party
Saturday December 9th, 2017
- Yearly in December. Come and wrap donated gifts for the men in the Gateway and our Program Guests. Help with Set – up, wrapping, organizing gifts, and/or clean up.
9:30am – 12pm on Fridays in 2017: April 28, June 23, August 25, Oct 20 and Dec 15
- Celebrate with the men who are graduating the Christian Living Program as they tell their testimonies and receive their certificates of completion. Also, support the men who have completed Phase I of the program as they join in the pinning ceremony.
- Volunteers greet and usher attendees, as well as maintain an attendance sign-in sheet, and hand out graduation programs.
Annual Gala Celebrating Lives Changed
April 8th, 2017
- Annual Springtime Fundraising Event
(Event planners needed and Event Committee list below.)
Gala Volunteer Committees
Be an invaluable part of our Development team by overseeing details and event coordination for the Gala. Lead all of the volunteer committees below providing direction and assistance as the main Rescue Mission Contact. Work closely with Deirdre and Wendy, be part of our team!
Research, design, and present Centerpiece items consistent with Gala theme
Solicit donations for items and work within a budget
Make items, store them and help bring to event (if possible)
Identify, envision and solicit decorations for the Gala consistent with Gala theme
Help Decorate the room
Help set up & organize Silent and live auction items
Greeters to welcome guests, direct them to the registration area and to the cocktail reception.
When dinner starts, greeters will ensure that Swag Bags are set up for each person to take with them at the end of the evening
Register incoming guests using a computer
Provide Name Tags
Write Bidder Number on back of Program, draw a line underneath the number
Hand out programs to matching bidder numbers
Hand out tickets for beverages
Silent Auction Committee
Collect solicited items and make baskets for Silent Auction
Set up & organize all Silent Auction items with bid sheets at the event
Collect bid sheets when auction is closed and set up winning bidder tents
Assist with disbursement of Silent Auction items
*Committee descriptions subject to change as process is finalized
What is you volunteer Level? Contact Deirdre to talk about it!
M25 Level: “Servant Leaders”
We really need you. You are a special group of VIP volunteers who are committed to the Rescue Mission and you help make change happen. You have a passion to do the good work that the Lord directs us to do. Dedicated to our Mission and the people served here, you are a leader called to dedicate your time talent and skills.
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
~ Matthew 25:34-40
M11 Level: “Lifting Burdens”
Your commitment blesses every aspect of the Mission. You lead, serve, share and commune here as you can. Your passion for helping people is unparalleled and you are willing to share your time, talent and resources to help the Mission and the Guests that we serve.
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
~ Matthew 11:28-30
Thank You for your service! Please conact Deirdre with any questions or comments. (610) 740-5500 ext. 322 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Download volunteer form here, in pdf format. Mail the completed form to:
Allentown Rescue Mission
355 W. Hamilton St.
P.O. Box 748
Allentown, PA 18105-0748
Call Deirdre at (610) 740-5500 ext. 22 to find out how we can match your talent with our needs.
Thank you for volunteering your time and talent to the Allentown Rescue Mission.